Comanche Lookout Park is a 96-acre public park and includes the fourth highest point in Bexar County with an elevation of 1,340 feet. The Cibolo floodplain lies at the base of this escarpment between the Gulf Coastal Plain and the Edwards Plateau. With a storied history, the 1994 Bond package provided $1.4 million for acquisition […]
Within a 3-year span, the San Antonio Parks Foundation facilitated major improvements to Woodlawn Lake Park including the renovation of the Island House and the addition of the now iconic Josephine Tobin sign marking the Cincinnati Avenue entrance to Woodlawn Lake Park. Monetary gifts from USAA and the Tobin Endowment completed fundraising for the projects.
What is now known as Walker Ranch Historic Landmark Park is part of a larger archaeologically significant site. The area near the confluence of Panther Springs Creek and Salado Creek represents a favored campsite revisited over thousands of years by hunting and gathering peoples apparently attracted by the availability of crucial resources such as water, […]
The area, including Travis Park, was once part of the upper farmlands of Mission San Antonio de Valero (today called the Alamo). After the mission was closed, the land was sold to Francisco Garcia in 1819, and in 1851 to Samuel Augustus Maverick, who lived at the northwest corner of Alamo Plaza and used this […]
Bryan McClain Park, located near the intersection of O’Connor Road and Knollcrest, 15806 O’Connor Road, was dedicated on November 17, 2001, in memory of Bryan McClain, a Madison High School graduate and Texas A&M University student who died when the A&M bonfire stack collapsed in 1999. The San Antonio City Council approved the purchase of […]
San Pedro Springs Park—San Antonio’s oldest designated park— is located on land reserved for public use by the Spanish government in the 18th century. Only one public park in America is older— Boston Common, which dates to 1630. In 2001, the San Antonio Parks Foundation secured $31,000 to install a new playground at San Pedro […]
With the help of a $36,000 gift from the Kellogg Corporation, a new playground was installed at Rosedale Park in 2000.
With the help of a gift of $25,000 from USAA and volunteer labor, a new playground was installed at Lockwood Park on San Antonio’s eastside.